Guest Blogger: Air Travel by Ed Murfin

I traveled by air to most of the national WED/RLS Conferences and Support Group Advisory Board (SGAB) meetings which were held while I was a...

I traveled by air to most of the national WED/RLS Conferences and Support Group Advisory Board (SGAB) meetings which were held while I was a Support Group Leader and member of the SGAB. One conference was held in a hotel in Los Angeles, CA. First, I had to fly from Jacksonville, FL to Charlotte, NC. It wasn’t bad. However, the 4 hour flight from Charlottee to Los Angeles was criminal. I told the flight attendants that I had requested an aisle seat because I didn’t expect to be sitting in it very much. Instead, I would be poking my legs out into the aisle often because of my WED/RLS. They understood, so they said, and asked me to just watch for other people in the aisle. I didn’t want them to think I was some kind of terrorist, spending time in the restroom to assemble a bomb or something. So during the flight, I spent a good bit of time walking up and down the aisle and standing in the galley with the attendants. By the end of the flight some of the passengers and all of the flight attendants were on a first name basis with me. 


The flight attendant who was at the exit door as I disembarked onto California ground for the first time in my life, paused as she helped me to the ramp and said, “You are the first person I’ve ever known who walked from the east coast to the west coast in four hours.”

About the Guest Blogger:
Ed Murfin, now 78 years old, is a former Support Group Leader from Jacksonville, Florida and has been a Foundation Advocate/Contact for northeast Florida and southeast Georgia since 2008.  He is looking to plan a regional educational meeting in Florida at the Mayo Clinic in late 2014.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images